My research interests encompass three disciplines. Firstly, I am interested in the reconstruction of phylogenetic relationships based on DNA sequences to address questions of biogeography and earth history, trait evolution, macroecology, and taxonomy. Secondly, I am interested in the use of molecular data for the inference of historical and contemporary movement of individuals among populations, and changes in population size (impact of perturbations, past climate changes etc.). I am also interested in the study of evolution at the molecular level, particularly that involving the molecular clock hypothesis, but also mitochondrial genomics.
My research initially concentrated on fishes, but it now spans a range of animal taxa (and even some non-animals).
- Graduate Certificate in University Teaching & Learning. University of Tasmania, 2011.
- Ph.D. Evolutionary genetics of cirrhitoid fishes. University of Tasmania, 2000.
- B.Sc (Hons) Molecular phylogeny of cheilodactylid and latrid fishes. University of Tasmania, 1995.
- B.Sc University of Tasmania, 1992-1994.
- KPZ164 Cell Biology, Genetics and Evolution
- KZA215 Tasmanian Fauna: Ecological and Evolutionary Studies
- KZA360 Conservation Biology and Wildlife Management (unit coordinator)
- KZA301 Behavioural and Evolutionary Ecology
- KZA304 Zoology Research Project (unit coordinator)
- KPA377 Molecular Ecology and Evolution
- KZA407 Zoology (Honours)
- Anna Brüniche-Olsen (PhD)
- Anneli Fügedi (PhD)
- Cecilia Carrea (Post-doc)
- Hannah Cliff (Hons)
- Halley Durrant (PhD)
- Nicholas Fountain-Jones (PhD)
- Rosie Hohnen (PhD)
- Ted Wenner (PhD)
- Zhang ZhiYi (Adam)
- Danielle Nankervis (Hons) – Conservation genetics of the wedge-tailed eagle.
- Kaitlyn Higgins (Hons) – Population genetics of Octopus pallidus.
- Celeste Jacq (PhD) – Population genetics of the common jollytail (Galaxias maculatus) from the volcanic plains of SW Victoria.
- Fiona Hogan (PhD) – Molecular ecology of the powerful owl (Ninox strenua).
- Rebecca Overeem (PhD) – Ecology of the little penguin (Eudyptula minor) in Victoria and South Australia.
- Vince Versace (Hons) – Population genetics of the black bream Acanthopagrus butcheri.
- Shannon Loughnan (Hons) – Development microsatellite markers for aquaculture and conservation studies of Murray cod (Maccullochella peelii peelii).
- Fiona McCure (Hons) – Influence of land clearance on population structuring in the native bush rat (Rattus fuscipes).
- Morgan Jaguar (Hons) – Phylogeography of the southern pygmy perch (Nannoperca australis).